Example of a written book report using the guidelines.
1. The title of the book is My Side of the Mountain and the author is Jean Craighead George.
2. The genre is realistic fiction.
3. The tone of the book is adventurous.
4. The author's purpose
is entertainment. This story was written to entertain readers and
teach them about
5. The point of view is third person. A narrator is telling the story.
6. The setting
of the story is in the Catskill Mountains in New York. Sam lives in a
hemlock tree. The tree is on
Sam's great-grandfather's property. The time period is
years. The story revolves around all the seasons.
7. The conflict
is Sam trying to survive the seasons and to be independent. The
conflict is man vs nature.
8. The resolution is Sam learns a variety of survival skills and becomes successful.
9. The protagonist is
a teenage boy named Sam Gribley. He enjoys nature. He lives
in a hemlock tree.
Sam is very
independent. Sam learns a variety of survival skills by
books and through experience.
10. There is not an antagonist in the story.
11. The theme of the story is to always be prepared.
12. My Side of the Mountain is
a story about a teenage boy that wants to gain his
Sam Gribley wants to learn how to survive in the mountains.
Sam learns a variety of survival skills and finds ways to live off of
the land. He has a
variety of animal friends. Sam lives in a hemlock
tree. He learns to locate
edible plants and to hunt. He
teaches a falcon to hunt for him.
At the end of the story, Sam's family comes to live with him
13. I enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend
that young boys read this book
because boys like to
be in the mountains.
14. My favorite part is when Sam gets sprayed by a skunk.